So you have an eCommerce website and you are all charged up about the thought of making it big in the industry. That’s great! Being motivated and being enthusiastic about your business is the first step towards success. It helps you in finding out all the right things and right actions you need to back your business up with. With an eCommerce store it starts with choosing the right platform to build your online store. Once it is up there, you need to reach out to your target audience and engage them in a way that they come back to you again and again. The most effective way to go about that is by cross selling.
Cross selling is the art of selling something more along with the product that the customer is already ready to buy. We will get to that later. The first thing is to figure out who exactly is your primary target audience. And this doesn’t involve knowing what your audience wants, what matters to them and what the sources of friction are for them. It requires a much deeper knowledge from an eCommerce business owner’s side. You need to know the following things well:
- In addition to knowing who your target audience is, you also need to know how to bring them to your website. For that you need to research into their Internet activities and figure out what blogs they read, which websites they visit, and what stuff do they search on Google, and more.
- You need to know how your target audience describes the type of services they are being offered. If you know this, you can use it to your advantage by adding their experience in your website somewhere so that when they visit your website they can relate to it better. And you never it might match the conversation in their head.
- You need to be aware about how they choose and compare products in the category you deal in. This will help you structure and prioritize content on your own website to match their expectations.
- You need to know what your target audience wants. We say this so that your value proposition can state exactly what your target audience is seeking making website a lot more relevant to them.
- Apart from knowing what they really want, you also need to know what they really don’t want. If you know this, you can get rid of the same from your website.
- You need to know how your website and your services are affecting the lives of your target audience. This will help you in determining which end-benefits you should communicate to boost your sales.
The Art Of Cross-selling
Ever wondered how effective the folks at McDonalds cross-sell French fries when you only ask for a burger. It is because that they know you won’t say no to fries. You need to do the same thing with your online store. Yes, you need to have a solid cross-selling strategy for your eCommerce store. The most effective way to go about this is by simply adding sections like ‘Other people who bought this also bought’, personalizing the newsletters you write to them and tempting them with offers that will actually interest them.
But whatever you do, just remember that it is all about giving your visitors a personalized experience. Make them feel welcomed and give them everything that they are seeking and they will visit your online store again and again.